Town of Plainfield

Thes earliest record we can find of white settlers in the town of Plainfield, is found in the "Old New York Frontier" published by Schreiber's. It places a "Squire Brown" at the forks of the Unadilla as early as 1724. The Indians drove him out the following year. Following the Revolutionary War, westward migration settled parts of the Lispenard and Schyler patents which made up the town of Plainfield. We have records of settlers along the Skaneateles Turnpike in 1793. Spooner's Corners and Lloydsville were among the first settlements along the turnpike. Plainfield Center was the largest of these settlements, it had it's own post office, schools, 2 hotels, a charcoal kiln, and several cheese factories as well as other shops. Edward Spicer was among the early settlers in 1796 in Unadilla Forks and when his young son died that same year, he started what we now know as the Unadilla Forks Cemetery. The town of Plainfield was established March 25th, 1799. The first gristmill was built by Caleb Brown in 1805. He also built an oil mill and a cloth factory on the east branch of the Unadilla River.
The influx of Welsh immigrants to the town of Plainfield began with Edward L. Morris in 1853. The area south of Plainfield Center became known as Welsh Hill. Many of the Welsh settlers found the land too harsh for dairy farming and grew hops. In 1869 the Welsh built a Congregational Church in Plainfield Center. A Calvinistic Methodist Church was built the same year on Welsh Hill. Services at both churches were in the Welsh language.
The town of Plainfield had 13 school districts, all of which were one- room school houses until the Unadilla Forks Academy was built in 1902. This academy, which included a high school by 1914, replaced the one-room schoolhouse in the Forks. By the year 1931 this school also became part of the West Winfield School system. The building is now on the New York State Historic Registry and was refurbished in 2011. The building is presently being used as a Court House and public meeting hall.
The buisness directory of the "Hamilton Child Gazetteer" in the year 1872-73 gives a listing of the dairy farms in the town of Plainfield at that time. These farmers sold their milk to cheese factories nearby of which there were many. This changed in 1895 when the Unadilla Valley Railroad was completed. This provided a market for fluid milk. Farmers transported the milk to stations at Leonardsville and River Forks in horse drawn wagons.
Waterpower made it possible for the hamlet of Unadilla Forks to flourish. The main dam provided the source of power for a saw mill, feed mill, grist mill, and carding mill. Unadilla Forks was home to a furniture factory and a cabinet factory which also produced rough boxes for burial as well as baseball bats. The saw mill provided electricity to the homes in the Forks before electricity was widely available. The 1868 map of Unadilla Forks shows a separate dam on the west branch of the river called Willow Glen. A factory was founded in 1850 and first manufactured cotton wicking and then steel hoes, rakes, and forks. This factory also made the handles for these tools.
The Unadilla Forks Fire Department was organized in 1913. The first fire house was at the end of Main Street near the monument. The present day firehouse was dedicated in 1955. The church bell served as the fire alarm until 1940 when the siren was purchased.
The present day town of Plainfield is primarily a residential area. The railroad stopped service in 1958. The Unadilla Forks Post Office, which was the last in the town of Plainfield, closed in 1967. The Forks Store is now an apartment house and the river is used only for recreational purposes. The Unadilla Forks Baptist Church stands at the center of the hamlet and is the last of the churches in the town of Plainfield.

A statewide ban prohibiting residential brush burning begins March 16 and lasts through May 14, 2021. With spring approaching, DEC is reminding New York State residents that conditions for wildfires are heightened in springtime when most wildfires occur.Campfires using charcoal or untreated wood are allowed, but people should never leave such fires unattended and must extinguish them. Burning garbage or leaves is prohibited year-round. For more information about fire safety and prevention, go to DEC’s FIREWISE New York website.

A Town Historian is needed in the Town of Plainfield. If you are interested in being appointed to this position, please text the Town Clerk at: .

The Town of Plainfield incumbents up for re-election in November are: Town Supervisor, Town Clerk, 2 Council members, Tax Collector and Highway Superintendent.  If you are interested in running for these seats, please call the Otsego Cty Board of Elections at: 607-547-4247 to obtain the information needed. Your petitions would need to be filed between May 18th and 25th.

The Otsego Cty DOH is offering vaccinations to eligible people, living in Otsego Cty, who are unable to leave their house to get a Covid vaccine. To set up an appointment for you or someone you know who is homebound call the Otsego Cty Office for the Aging at 607-547-4232 or email the name, address and phone number to:

The Otsego Cty Office for the Aging  is offering a Restaurant Dining Program for Otsego Cty seniors ages 60 or older.  The participating local restaurant is Red Door in West Winfield. Registration is required. After registration, meal tickets are purchased for $3.50 a piece, with a maximum purchase of 6 tickets per month, which are mailed to you from Office for the Aging (or you can pick them up at their office). You take the meal ticket to Red Door, tell them you have a meal ticket and they bring you a specific menu based on nutritional guidelines. There are 6 lunch and 6 breakfast menus to pick from! Coffee/tea/milk or water is included. You then give them your meal ticket to pay for the meal, hopefully you will leave a tip, then you're done! You just got a meal for $3.50! Call me at 315-292-0548 if you are interested and need a registration packet.

The Town of Plainfield Court is currently in the process of scheduling cases on a virtual basis in response to the current COVID 19 conditions. As the court was forced to cease appearances with specific exceptions, case hearings have been adjourned on a temporary basis. The court is notifying individuals by mail of hearing dates and procedures. If there are questions regarding a case, you may contact the court at 315.855.4150 and leave message and court personnel will call you back.

Justice David Trevvett


The Plainfield Town Clerk will no longer be a DEC Licensing Agent effective June 1st, 2020.The State has closed down all DEC Licensing Agents selling less then 15 hunting and fishing licenses throughout the year.   You may purchase hunting and fishing licenses locally at the Bridgewater Town Clerk’s office by calling:

315-822-6808 or by calling the DEC at: 1-866-933-2257.

Are you tired of the County Highway road conditions in Plainfield? County Highways 18, 18A, 19 and 21 are deteriorating and sometimes dangerous. It should not take damages to a car or an accident to have Plainfield County Highways safe to drive on.

Here are ways to contact the Otsego County Highway Department to voice your concerns pertaining to the County Highways:

1) The most effective way is to send a letter and/or email detailing the County Highway problem and its location to:

Rich Brimmer

Otsego County Highway Superintendent

20 Linden Avenue

Cooperstown, NY 13326

2) Call Mr. Brimmer at: 607-547-0537 detailing the problem and its location

3) Sign a petition available at the Plainfield Town Clerks office at

    129 County Highway 18A, West Winfield, NY 13491, during regular  

     office hours of Tuesdays 9am-12pm and Wednesdays 4pm-6pm. You   

     can also call the Town Clerks office to set up a time to sign the petition 

      at: 315-855-7873

4) As well as contacting the Otsego County Highway Superintendent with your

    concerns, you can also contact the Otsego County Legislator for Plainfield:

Dan Wilber

Board of Representatives

County Office Building

197 Main St.

Cooperstown, NY 13326


Town garage phone is 315-855-4478 if there is an issue with road safety or concerns. The officials tab at the top of this page has detailed contact info.

Employment Application

Any issues to come before the Board at a regular meeting, are to be placed on the meeting agenda.Contact the Town Clerk at 315-855-7873, Supervisor Todd Lewis at 315-368-4074 or to add your name to the agenda.

The Town Board is looking to fill positions on Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, and Board of Assessment Review. Please contact Town Clerk at 315-855-7873.

Current Year Assessment Rolls

Click Here to go to the Otsego County Real Property Tax Dept's Current Year Assessment Rolls

Please click on the link below for added history of Unadilla Forks